I love trying new things as long it isn't jumping out of planes. When Mary Lou asked if I would be interested in entering the Napa Trail Trials at Skyline Park, I said sure, why not. I haven't done a Trail Trial before and I thought it would be fun to do with my good friend. Judy decided to enter a horse also so we went as the Three Musketeers without muskets. We all signed up under the schooling classification.
Bright and early, we hitched up the trailer, loaded the horses and were on our merry little way by 8:30. Our ride time wasn't until 10:30 so we had plenty of time to register, groom and saddle the beasties. We even had some time to practice on a few obstacles at the practice course that is located at Skyline Park. Keepsake took most of it in stride.
As the ride time approached we headed for the starting line and out to our first obstacle where we waited at least 30 minutes before the chance to complete the obstacle which consisted of approaching a flag covered wicker basket that was hanging from a tree. We were told to approach the basket, stop, count to 5 and then reach in and take a carrot for our horse. I think they told us to get a carrot for the horse. I can't remember. I felt Keepsake did very well and I don't remember what they marked us down for. All three of us completed it ok and then proceeded to the second obstacle.
The ride there was quite lovely and I can't wait to go back to enjoy a real ride in Skyline Park BUT the wait for the obstacle was interminable! I am sure we were stuck there for at least an hour and there was at least 20 horse and riders behind us that were waiting to complete the obstacle too. It was awful and dangerous as we were stuck on a single track trail. We finally threw in the towel and moved on to the next obstacle where we had another wait but for only about 15 minutes.
Remember, this is my absolute first time to do Trail Trials and I was doing a schooling ride and I did tell the judges this also. On the third obstacle, we were met by a lady who read the instructions to us and sent us on to the judge. We went up hill. We were marked down for a number of things including not checking our girth and not turning sideways when we stopped on a hill. I had no idea that this is what was expected of us. Mary Lou was really knocked for points as Blue had a hissy fit when we rode out of sight in order to find a decent spot to wait for him.
Anyway, this is how the day went. Ride along for a few minutes on beautiful trails and then stop and wait for as much as 2.5 hours to complete an obstacle. Trail Trials are a fantastic idea but I will never do it again as I don't have the patience for it. If the wait at each obstacle was only like 15 minutes, I would probably go back as I love seeing how Keepsake handled the different obstacles. She was absolutely brilliant as far as I am concerned. But then I am biased. Can you tell that I am not interested in showing in any way, shape or form??
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



yuck. that sounds horrible. you think they would have a little better system so you don't have to wait for so long!
ReplyDeleteshowing in shows is much better! :)
I'm currently trying to find a horse I can show. I am having withdrawals!
I have been a hard core trail rider all of my life tho I did do some gymkhana when I was a kid. I just can't handle the show jitters. Makes my underarms sprout showers!
ReplyDelete