Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Trail Ride from Hail


Along with the disgruntled horses, Liz and I headed out to the park even though the clouds threatened us with rain and then kept their promise once we were so far from home that we would get a good soaking. We were even able to get a good canter to the water trough to stretch the horses' legs. Then the rain started. It rained and then stopped. Then hailed/rained, then stopped.

We thought we could still make it up the gravel road to give Keepsake and Reba's butts a bit of a workout. We almost made it to the top when the heavens opened up and dumped their contents on us. Soaked us through and through. The horses were not happy and kept shaking their heads at us. At least they pretended not to be happy but on the way home, in the rain, Reba was willing to let us get even wetter if she could just eat some grass. Three of us voted NO!!

Liz headed back to her barn and I took Keepsake's tack off and she immediately wanted a good roll. Nah, I didn't let her have it. I rubbed her down instead. Then she rolled. Shavings flew everywhere. It was so nice to get to the warm house and to get out of all of my wet clothes. Just pleased that I got my ride in and Keepsake got exercise whether she liked it or not.

ps: the above picture was taken last year and it is of Liz and Reba in drier times.

1 comment:

  1. My sister use to ride a horse named Reba! She is a bay Arabian.. now with only one eye.

    Glad I've never ridden in hail! Rain... that's a different story!

    ReplyDelete